- PhD in Organic Chemistry; Thesis Title: "The Development and Study of Photoactivatable
Compounds: Substituted Phenacyl Esters, Oxiranes and Xanthates", Mar.2006 – Dec.2011 Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic (Mentor: Prof. Petr Klan)Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn, Germany, Feb. 2009-March 2010 (DAAD research exchange stay) (Mentor: Prof. Gunter Mayer)
- M.Sc. Applied Chemistry, first class with distinction, 2003 – 2005
Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT), Kerala, India
- B.Sc. Chemistry, first class with distinction, 2000 – 2003
Kannur University, Kerala, India
March 2014- May 2014: Wellcome Trust-DBT Early Career Fellow (Award declined due to location change to University of Chicago)
April 2013-Feb.2014: TIFR visiting postdoctoral fellow at the National Centre for Biological
Sciences, TIFR, Bangalore, India.
July 2012-Feb. 2013: Bridging postdoctoral fellow at the National Centre for Biological
Sciences, TIFR, Bangalore, India.
Official reviewer of the journal 'Nanoscale' (impact factor = 6.2), published by the Royal
Soceity of Chemistry, UK
Awards and Fellowships
Wellcome Trust-DBT Early Career Award in March 2014
TIFR-Visiting Postdoctoral Fellowship in April 2013
Received DAAD Research Fellowship for graduate work at the Rheinische Friedrich- Wilhelms-Universität Bonn, Germany, 2009
Received "The Award for Excellent PhD Students" from the Dean of Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Czech Republic, 2008
Qualified National Eligibility Test (NET) conducted by the University Grant Commission
(UGC), India, 2006
Passed Graduate Aptitude Test (GATE) in Chemistry, India, 2006
Received third rank in the final qualifying examination of B.Sc. Chemistry; medal for excellence from the Vice-Chancellor of Kannur University, 2003
Synthesis and applications of photoactivatable molecules in biology
DNA-nanotechnology for cellular applications
Organic photochemistry and molecular sensing
Good hand in organic synthesis with experience in multi-step target oriented synthesis.
Good knowledge in chemical modification of proteins, DNA/RNA using various synthetic probes.
Good knowledge in experimental organic photochemistry (preparative photolysis, laser flash
Frequent user of analytical instruments like uv-vis spectrometer, GC-MS, HPLC, NMR, IR- spectrometer etc.
Good knowledge in photochemical labeling/photochemical activation of proteins with experience in techniques like western-blotting, gel-electrophoresis, pull-down experiments etc.
- Photochemical synthesis of substituted indan-1-ones related to donepezil, T. Pospisil, A.
T. Veetil, L. A. P. Antony and P. Klan, Photochem. Photobiol. Sci., 2008, 7, 625-632.
- Photoenolization-Induced Oxirane Ring Opening in 2,5-Dimethylbenzoyl Oxiranes To Form Pharmaceutically Promising Indanone Derivatives, T. Solomek, P. Stacko, A. T. Veetil, T. Pospisil and P. Klan, J. Org. Chem., 2010, 75, 7300-7309.
- Photochemistry of S-Phenacyl Xanthates, A. T. Veetil, T. Solomek, P. B. Ngoy, D. Heger and P. Klan, J. Org. Chem., 2011, 76 (20), 8232–8242.
- Carbon–Carbon Bond Cleavage in Fluorescent Pyronin Analogues Induced by Yellow
Light, Štacko P,Šebej P, A.T. Veetil, Klán P, Org. Lett., 2012, 14, 4918-4921.
- The photoenolization reaction- a tool for organic synthesis. P. Klan, L. Plistil, T.
Pospíšil, A. T. Veetil, J. Wirz, in 233rd ACS National Meeting & Exposition. Washington, USA: American Chemical Society, 2007, Chicago.
- Photochemical synthesis of indan-1-ones via 2, 5-dimethylphenacyl epoxides, T.
Solomek, A. T. Veetil, P. Klan, in Students Conference, Bratislava, 2009.
- Photochemistry of S- Phenacyl Xanthates, A. T. Veetil, P. B. Ngoy, D. Heger and P.
Klán, in XXIII IUPAC Symposium on Photochemistry, Ferrara, Italy, 2010.
- Functional applications of DNA-polyhedra, A. T. Veetil, Y. Krishnan, at the Leopoldina- INSA Symposium, Halle, Germany, 2013.
Dr. Yamuna Krishnan's Laboratory
E347B, Gordon Centre for Integrative Science
Department of Chemistry, University of Chicago
929 E., 57th Ellis Avenue
Illinois-60637, Email: atv[at]uchicago.edu